A Short Story About the Rain

On a grey day sometime in August, a young girl, overcome by the bitter sadness of being stuck at work and away from her lover, wrote to him via email:

"It’s raining here like mad, big chunks and drops of rain. Sometimes it hits the windows like it’s flying sideways. Sometimes the walls creak and I imagine them caving in and taking my life. Someone’s gonna die out there, someone’s gonna smash up their car and face and chest cavity. Then they’re gonna die and some others are gonna most likely die inside, too. It’s a real tragedy, all the crashes and smashes that are happening this minute, the dying and all. The rain takes lives and good moods too. It’s taken away the little joy in my heart right now and all I can think about is sadness. Does that happen to you? It happens to me when it rains or when I watch certain films or when I have to iron. Especially when I iron - there is something depressing and therapeutic about the whole thing, running a hot slab of metal over fabrics, destroying the wrinkles, flattening out its land and turning the things around, trying not to forget the sleeves and collars, making sure you flatten out your thoughts and that you put enough pressure on the voices to burn them away without actually putting a hole through the garment, or your heart. It’s a tricky task; it means the same thing the rain does. I hope you’re having a nice day."

In response, her lover wrote back telling her she should cheer up, and appreciate the rain. Feeling worse than before, she wrote back once more:

"I didn’t mean to say I don’t like the rain - surely I understand its purpose, and enjoy a good blast of it every now and then - the real subject of my discourse was about its violent temper and consequences. We drive by accidents on the highway and it’s all glorious because the metals smashed up and the lights from the fire coming out of the vehicles are something amazing, but there’s really a dead baby inside and its mother is still breathing though she’s paralyzed and wont realize until later that she cant move. She’s lost both her lives at one and the same time, all at the mercy of a storm. When the rain hits as hard as it did, that’s all I see. It’s all shit."

She shredded office documents for the rest of the day, indulging in her sadness, while the rain fell hard and sideways against the windows.

The End.

Published by Everything Magazine

0 comments:

Post a Comment